The Moate CS athletics track and field contingent had two fantastic days out in Dangan, Galway on Thursday 5th May and in TUS Athlone on Tuesday 10th May. These events were the South Connaught Championships and the qualifiers move onto the Connaught Finals on Thursday 19th May in TUS Athlone. We had 68 competitors over the two days and upwards of 20 students have qualified for the Connaught Finals.
Here’s some of the individual results over the two days. All of the competitors mentioned are through to the Connaught Finals.
- Clodagh Kelly 1st and Karrisa Burns 2nd in minor girls 1500 metres
- Hagan Niall 1st and Jake Wallace 2nd in intermediate boys 3000 metres
- Lucy Champ 1st in heat and 2nd overall in intermediate girls 200 metres
- Neasa Trainor 1st in heat in 800 metres minor girls
- Eoin Conlon 2nd in minor boys 1500 metres
- Aine Bracken 4th overall in minor girls 800 metres and Aine was 3rd in Javelin
- Kate Whyte 3rd and Hannah Buckley 5th in Intermediate girls 3000 metres
- Fee Muller 4th in senior girls 400 metre hurdles
- Jacob Kwak 4th in minor boys 75 metre hurdles
- Padraig Robbins 5th in senior boys 800 metres
- Sofia Toyos 6th in senior girls shot putt
- Anthony King Carroll 5th in minor boys 800 metres
- Aaron Claffey 3rd in minor boys javelin and high jump
- Ava Gahan 5th in junior girls javelin.
Our athletes faired very well in the relay competitions. Minor girls relay team 4 by 100 metres finished 4th overall. Their team included Aine Bracken, Clodagh Kelly, Karrisa Burns and Neasa Trainor. Intermediate boys 4 by 100 metres team finished 2nd in their heat and 3rd overall. The team included Adam Keane, Aodhan Curran, Oisin McDermott and Trevor Fakeye.